Sunday, February 20, 2011

Americans and their LOVE of world sports

In all the years I have lived in the US, I have laughed when it was time for the World Series Baseball, NFL World Championship or the NBA World Championship. There are NO international teams in these championships…it is PURE PURE PURE Americano! The US is THE world.
I used to laugh at it, but now I am IN IT knee high. I am raising two little men, 3 and 5 years old in this sport manic culture!

Not long after my first born was out of my womb the nurse asked me if he was going to be a football (American football of course) or baseball player?...What????...NONE! He is going to be an engineer like this grandfather.
When my son started preschool  (17 months old) his little friend’s parents told me that they wanted their son to be a football star, and were considering moving to another State where football practice was much better. Really?

Growing up as a Dane, sports and school are two separate things. In the US, the kids play sports at their school and schools compete against each other. Since my oldest is “only” in Kindergarten, the “fun” has just begun.
In the fall he played soccer.  He had practice every Wednesday and games, YES games, every Saturday. Since we missed first practice, the first soccer my son ever played was a game. He had no idea what soccer was or what to do, but a game he played.  It sure was entertaining to watch, but; what happened to just learning and having fun?
Now it is winter time, so he is playing basketball twice a week – practice and of course THE game. On top of this, we have weekly swim classes. Most American kids start swim lessons at 6 months, my boys started at 2 years, so we are terribly behind. 

I am not laughing AT ALL at the US sports fanatics any more…..I am just trying to keep up with them, making sure my kids know the basic rules of ANY and ALL games.  The Dane in me have however insisted, that my sons play an International sport, Tennis, year round. They both do.

When in Rome do as the Americans….It is Sunday and we are sport off!  I think we will play some family WII resort sports. Who knows, one of my sons may just be in one of the “World Championships” one day!

3 comments:

  1. I'll just say I'm glad I have girls (who aren't into sports)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You my Danish dear are a natural at maintaining that magic balance and staying true to who you are and making sure your boys experience and live that as well. Bravo as I love this blog and reading what your thinking and I am sure Jenna appreciates this as well being an Author herself. From Boston to Santa Barbara major Bousa's to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hej med dig du seje danske kvinde.... tillykke med bloggen. jeg skal nok følge med på din blog.
    du kan jo tjekke min gamle og min nuværende blogs;

    www. handmadebymalle.blogspot.com og den gamle
    www.strikketanten.blogspot.com


    velkommen i blog verdenen.

    knus fra
    karin

    ReplyDelete